REPORTS TO: Government Affairs and Advocacy Manager
HOURS: 12-20 hours per week, flexible scheduling Monday-Friday 10 am – 6 pm. Occasional nights or weekend hours may be requested.
COMPENSATION: Interns are provided a stipend and monthly MetroCard.
SUMMARY: The Organizing and Political Intern is responsible for supporting the National Institute for Reproductive Health Action Fund’s legislative advocacy and electoral strategy to advance reproductive rights in New York State. The Organizing and Political Intern will work to increase our base of volunteers and engage them in our advocacy campaigns.
- Research state and local candidates running for office throughout New York State.
- Research lawmakers and legislation. Advise political staff on findings.
- Assist in the creation of educational materials for activists and lawmakers.
- Utilize and maintain volunteer and member databases.
- Work with political staff to engage our supporters in advocacy campaigns and events.
- Help plan and attend public outreach activities including tabling, phone banking, and petition collection.
- Passion for social justice and reproductive rights.
- A strong interest in the legislative and political processes, as well as organizing and volunteer coordination.
- Eagerness to learn.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Comfortable doing outreach over the phone.
- Confidence in using Microsoft Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
Email a thoughtful cover letter describing your interest in reproductive rights advocacy and resume to [email protected] with “NYS Organizing and Political Intern” in the subject line. Alternatively, you may mail your application package to Director of Human Resources, National Institute for Reproductive Health, 470 Park Avenue South – 7th Floor, New York, NY 10016. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The National Institute is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, people of color, person with disabilities and LGBTQ individuals to apply.