POSITION AVAILABLE: Spring Semester 2016
REPORTS TO: Government Affairs and Advocacy Manager
HOURS: 15-20 hours per week, flexible scheduling available Monday-Friday 10-6.
COMPENSATION: Intern will receive travel reimbursement in the form of an unlimited monthly MetroCard.
SUMMARY: NARAL Pro-Choice New York’s Political and Government Affairs department works on the political, legislative and community levels to protect safe, legal abortion and to expand the full range of reproductive rights for all women. The Political Intern is responsible for supporting our legislative advocacy strategy to advance reproductive rights in New York State. This position will also assist in preparations for the 2016 election.
- Research lawmakers and legislation. Advise NARAL staff on findings.
- Assist in the creation of educational materials for lawmakers.
- Collaborate with other members of the Political and Government Affairs team in planning a pro-choice lobby day in Albany.
- Research candidates running in races throughout the state.
- Facilitate the candidate questionnaire process and correspond with campaigns.
- Maintain databases.
- Passion for social justice and reproductive rights.
- A strong interest in the legislative and political processes.
- Eagerness to learn.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Research experience.
- Confidence in using Microsoft Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “Political Intern.” People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.