We are currently working with Prisoners’ Legal Services and the Prison Birth Project and the ACLU of Southern California to implement laws in Massachusetts and California that prohibit the shackling of pregnant incarcerated women.
We previously partnered with Legal Services for Prisoners with Children in San Francisco to build toward California’s statewide anti-shackling ban, and with Aid to Inmate Mothers , which provides health care and services to incarcerated women in Alabama. In Pittsburgh, partner New Voices Pittsburgh built and trained a broad coalition of organizations and policymakers dedicated to improving conditions for pregnant women in the Allegheny County Jail.
Efforts to improve health and safety measures in nail salons are often possible on the local level. The National Institute has supported advocacy by groups such as Asian Communities for Reproductive Justice and the California Healthy Nail Salon Collaborative to reform standards and practices in San Francisco nail salons; our sister organization NARAL Pro-Choice New York has supported efforts in New York City to regulate nail salons in order to protect workers’ reproductive health.
In Georgia, we supported the Feminist Women’s Health Center to introduce a statewide resolution in support of Georgia’s Thriving Families, advocating for access to the full range of reproductive health services, including pre- and postnatal care.
We partnered with the Urban League of Portland to conduct advocacy highlighting research, model programs, and policy recommendations to improve maternal and infant health outcomes in Portland’s African-American community. This work furthered relationships with local elected officials and policymakers and established the Urban League as a leader in the state discourse on reproductive justice.
We’ve Partnered With the Following Organizations to Support Eliminating Disparities:
- ACLU of Southern California
- Advocates for Children and Youth
- The Afiya Center
- Aid to Inmate Mothers
- Arizona Family Planning Council
- Asian Communities for Reproductive Justice
- California Black Women’s Health Project
- California Coalition for Reproductive Freedom
- California Healthy Nail Salon Collaborative
- Faith Aloud
- Healthy and Free Tennessee
- Illinois Caucus for Adolescent Health
- Law Centers Alliance
- Legal Services for Prisoners with Children
- Lilith Fund, Inc.
- Michigan Organization on Adolescent Sexual Health
- NARAL Pro-Choice Colorado
- Neighborhood Health Source
- New Voices Pittsburgh
- Northpoint Health & Wellness Center
- Planned Parenthood of Southern New England
- Planned Parenthood of the St.Louis Region
- Prison Birth Project
- Prisoners’ Legal Services
- Public Health Foundation Enterprises, Inc.
- SisterSong Women of Color Reproductive Health Collective
- Surge Northwest
- Teen Pregnancy & Prevention Partnership
- University of Chicago, Section of Family Planning and Contraceptive Research
- Urban League of Portland
- Wisconsin Alliance for Women’s Health
- Women with a Vision, Inc.