REPORTS TO: Youth Initiatives Coordinator
15-20 hours per week
COMPENSATION: PAID + unlimited monthly metro card.
The National Institute for Reproductive Health works to increase access to reproductive health care by changing public policy, galvanizing public support, and normalizing women’s decisions to have abortions and use contraception. Since 2008, the National Institute has partnered with more than 100 organizations in 46 localities and 35 states. The National Institute for Reproductive Health Action Fund conducts legislative and political advocacy to protect and advance reproductive health, rights, and justice in New York and supports partner advocacy in states and cities nationwide. The Action Fund previously operated as NARAL Pro-Choice New York.
The National Institute’s partnership work is supplemented with independent research, original reports, educational campaigns, and signature initiatives, including our nationally recognized youth leadership and peer education program, TORCH®. Founded in 1996, the program incorporates youth driven community action initiatives and fosters strong community partnerships to:
- Provide knowledge and empowerment opportunities for young people to make informed choices;
- Support the next generation of the sexual reproductive justice movement by fostering awareness and activism;
- Offer accessible comprehensive sexuality education that is medically accurate and inclusive of various identities and experiences.
We are currently seeking Spring Interns to help with our Continuing Education & Leadership and Community Action Initiatives which will be held through June.
Interns provide hands-on program assistance to TORCH® staff. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- In collaboration with TORCH staff, take lead in creating youth centered events and mini-conferences
- Assist TORCH staff in designing and planning Continuing Education agendas including brainstorming topics and/or activities.
- Assist TORCH participants with logistics for planning projects and events
- Assist with the set up and facilitation of youth meetings.
- Place weekly food orders for program meetings.
- Perform administrative duties including but not limited to data entry as outlined in our contract.
- Support TORCH Program staff with other tasks as necessary.
- Experience working directly with Black and Brown, Trans/GNC, LGBQ+ young people.
- Interest and/or experience in sexuality education.
- Interest and/or experience in research methods and data analysis
- Interest and/or experience with youth event planning, conferences and project management
- Commitment to the Movement for Black lives, Reproductive Justice, Restorative/Transformative Justice practices, intersectional queer feminism, and the motivation to organize young people around these issues as well as others affecting them and their communities.
- Willingness to engage in conversations and practices that center accountability, transparency and equity.
- Compassionate, is self-motivated and detail oriented with a willingness to work as part of a team.
- Be able to operate with autonomy
TO APPLY: Please email a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with subject line “TORCH Program Intern”.
The National Institute for Reproductive Health is an equal opportunity employer. NIRH strives to build and support an equitable work community that attracts, develops, and retains exceptional people. As a member of the reproductive freedom movement, NIRH aims to foster leadership and raise the voices of historically marginalized people, including but not limited to Black people and people of color, indigenous/native peoples, LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people, disabled people, immigrants, and low income people. We strongly encourage candidates of these and other diverse backgrounds to apply.