The National Institute for Reproductive Health (NIRH) builds power at the state and local level to change public policy, galvanize public support, and normalize women’s decisions about abortion and contraception. Using a partnership model, we provide state and local advocates with strategic guidance, hands-on support, and funding to create national change from the ground up. We are a force multiplier – we form strategic partnerships with a wide range of organizations to directly impact the reproductive health and lives of women across the country. Since 2008, NIRH has provided direct grants and hands-on support to nearly 150 reproductive health, rights, and justice organizations in more than 39 states and 56 localities across the country. In 2018, NIRH’s partnerships and its work in New York State and City span 23 states, including 13 localities.
The National Institute for Reproductive Health Action Fund, with associated PAC’s and IEC, conducts nonpartisan advocacy and electoral engagement to advance reproductive health, rights and justice in states and cities across the country.
This internship is 12-20 hours per week, with flexible scheduling Monday-Friday between 10:00am and 6:00pm, and is located in New York, NY. The duration of this internship is the summer of 2019.
The Communications Department plays an integral role in the operations of the National Institute for Reproductive Health and the National Institute for Reproductive Health Action Fund. NIRH has long worked to shape the national conversation about reproductive health care, demystifying abortion and contraception while grounding them in the context of women’s lives, and our Communications Department leads this work. The Communications and Graphic Design Intern will support the Communications Department to uplift the work of NIRH and the work of our partners across the country.
- Draft and design social media graphics, GIFs, report covers, infographics, etc
- Edit existing video, creating shareable clips
- Archive media documents, such as press releases and news clips
- Maintain communications database
- Propose and create digital content
- Mock up and create swag—stickers, buttons, tote bags, and more as needed
- Other administrative duties as needed
- A strong design sense, creativity, and willingness to try new things
- Interest in creating content for social media, as well as traditional communications resources like report covers, toolkits, and infographics
- Self-motivated; ability to work independently
- Eagerness to learn
- Demonstrated mastery of Adobe Creative Suite programs, and video production software
- Passion for reproductive health, rights, and justice a plus
Transportation assistance and a stipend of $1500 will be provided.
Please email a thoughtful resume, cover letter, and at least two examples of past graphic design work to [email protected] with subject line “2019 Communications and Graphic Design Intern.”
The National Institute for Reproductive Health is an equal opportunity employer. NIRH strives to build and support an equitable work community that attracts, develops, and retains exceptional people. As a member of the reproductive freedom movement, NIRH aims to foster leadership and raise the voices of historically marginalized people, including but not limited to Black people and people of color, indigenous and native peoples, LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people, disabled people, immigrants, and low income people. We strongly encourage candidates of these and other diverse backgrounds to apply.