The National Institute for Reproductive Health (NIRH) builds power at the state and local level to change public policy, galvanize public support, and normalize women’s decisions about abortion and contraception. Using a partnership model, we provide state and local advocates with strategic guidance, hands-on support, and funding to create national change from the ground up. We are a force multiplier – we form strategic partnerships with a wide range of organizations to directly impact the reproductive health and lives of women across the country. Since 2008, NIRH has provided direct grants and hands-on support to nearly 150 reproductive health, rights, and justice organizations in 39 states and 56 localities across the country. In 2018, NIRH’s partnerships and its work in New York State and City span 23 states, including 13 localities.
The National Institute for Reproductive Health Action Fund, with associated PAC’s and IEC, conducts nonpartisan advocacy and electoral engagement to advance reproductive health, rights and justice in states and cities across the country.
Position Summary: The Development Department plays an integral role in the operations of the National Institute for Reproductive Health and the National Institute for Reproductive Health Action Fund. Our individual and institutional donors make the work of our organizations possible. The Special Events & Development Intern will assist with event planning including cultivation and stewardship events; developing donor communications; and researching the background and giving history of potential and current donors.
This position reports to the Senior Manager of Special Events & Development.
- Work closely with the Senior Manager of Special Events & Development on all special events;
- Manage event records, including sponsorship and ticket sales, and RSVP tracking;
- Assist with special event and day-of-event operations including set-up and execution;
- Conduct research on event donors and prospects.
Young Professionals Program
- Assist with cultivation and fundraising events for our Young Professionals group, including pre-event preparation, tracking RSVPs, and troubleshooting on the day of the event.
- Support the development team in a myriad of fundraising efforts;
- Ad hoc projects as needed.
- A strong interest in nonprofit work, particularly fundraising and event planning
- MS Office computer skills
- Ability to show initiative, ask questions, and adapt to changing priorities
- Strong personal commitment to social justice issues
- Ability to multitask while being attentive to detail
Compensation & Benefits: Transportation assistance and a stipend of $1,800 will be provided.
Application Procedure: Email a thoughtful cover letter and resume in one PDF to [email protected] with subject line “Special Events & Development Intern”.
The National Institute for Reproductive Health and NIRH Action Fund is an equal opportunity employer. NIRH and NIRH Action Fund strives to build and support an equitable work community that attracts, develops, and retains exceptional people. As a member of the reproductive freedom movement, NIRH aims to foster leadership and raise the voices of historically marginalized people, including but not limited to Black people and people of color, indigenous/native peoples, LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people, disabled/differently abled people, immigrants, and low-income people. We strongly encourage candidates of these and other diverse backgrounds to apply.