The National Institute for Reproductive Health works to increase access to reproductive health care by changing public policy, galvanizing public support, and normalizing women’s decisions to have abortions and use contraception. Since 2008, the National Institute has partnered with more than 100 organizations in 46 localities and 35 states. The National Institute for Reproductive Health Action Fund conducts legislative and political advocacy to protect and advance reproductive health, rights, and justice in New York and supports partner advocacy in states and cities nationwide. The Action Fund previously operated as NARAL Pro-Choice New York.
The National Institute for Reproductive Health is looking for a talented, innovative full-time Organizing and Advocacy Coordinator with a detail oriented and enthusiastic approach and a demonstrated commitment to furthering the organization’s goals and strategy.
The Advocacy and Organizing Coordinator supports the organization’s legislative, political and community education goals by engaging New Yorkers throughout the state in our advocacy campaigns and providing technical assistance to partners in other states. This position reports to the Director of Political and Government Affairs.
- Recruit, train, and mobilize new activists throughout New York State to participate in the National Institute for Reproductive Health’s political and advocacy campaigns via the Campaign for a Pro-Choice New York.
- Communicate with activists to keep them informed about current campaigns and engage them in campaign activities.
- Lead grassroots campaign activities (i.e. in-district meetings, petition collection, phone banks, etc.) and turn out activists to participate.
- Work with activists to support and/or host events in their own communities.
- Organize students on campuses to participate in our advocacy campaigns.
- Assist in creation and implementation of online campaigns that support legislative, political and base-building goals.
- Assist in developing materials for activist education and mobilization.
- Provide technical assistance to partner organizations around basebuilding and activist engagement.
- Database management and coordination.
- Additional duties/responsibilities as assigned.
- A deep commitment to reproductive health and rights.
- 1-3 years of experience recruiting and mobilizing volunteers for short- and long-term advocacy campaigns.
- Strong communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, including exceptional attention to detail, a demonstrated ability to work as part of a team, and the ability to inspire others to work hard.
- Must be able to work nights and weekends with a flexible schedule and an eagerness to travel throughout New York State.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and other PC skills required.
- Experience working with voter management programs (i.e. VAN, NationBuilder, ), online advocacy tools and predictive dialer systems.
Salary will be commensurate with background and experience. The National Institute for Reproductive Health offers an excellent benefit package.
Email a thoughtful cover letter, resume and salary requirements to [email protected] with “Organizing and Advocacy Coordinator” in the subject line. Alternatively, you may mail your application package to Director of Human Resources, National Institute for Reproductive Health, 470 Park Avenue South – 7th Floor, New York, NY 10016. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The National Institute for Reproductive Health is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, people of color, person with disabilities and LGBTQ individuals to apply.