The National Institute for Reproductive Health (NIRH) builds power at the state and local level to change public policy, galvanize public support, and normalize women’s decisions about abortion and contraception.
Using a partnership model, we provide state and local advocates with strategic guidance, hands-on support, and funding to create national change from the ground up. We are a force multiplier – we form strategic partnerships with a wide range of organizations to directly impact the reproductive health and lives of women across the country. Since 2008, NIRH has provided direct grants and hands-on support to more than 145 reproductive health, rights, and justice organizations in 37 states and 50 localities across the country.
At the national level, we go where others don’t, engaging in groundbreaking public opinion research, proactive policy initiatives, and innovative advocacy campaigns to shape a new national conversation about reproductive freedom.
Our political arm, the NIRH Action Fund, works in parallel to change state and local electoral and policy landscapes.
COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER POSITION SUMMARY
The Communications Manager will be responsible for helping to develop, disseminate, and promote messaging materials, policy analysis, and other original organizational resources, as well as provide communications guidance to partner organizations across the country. The Communications Manager will work with the Policy and Partnerships and Communications teams and with partners to develop specific messaging guidance, develop advocacy and communications campaigns, and create and execute media strategies.
· Develop media and message guidance on reproductive health and rights in order to provide technical assistance, including media plans, media trainings, and messaging recommendations for state and local partners.
· Build and maintain relationships with partners, responding to their media and messaging needs
· Draft media materials including press releases, op-eds, talking points, etc.
· Work directly with the media to pitch stories that position the organization as a leader in reproductive health and rights
· 4-6 years of experience in communications, preferably working on reproductive health, rights, and justice
· Experience in building relationships with partners from diverse types of organizations
· Facility with interacting with members of the media
· A strong grasp of reproductive health, rights and justice movements
· Ability to work collaboratively with staff across the organization
· Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
The successful candidate should have excellent relationship-building skills; experience in writing, media relations, and messaging on reproductive health, rights, and justice; and a proven track record in advocacy communications. This position reports to the Vice President for Communications.
Salary will be commensurate with background and experience. The National Institute for Reproductive Health offers an excellent benefit package.
The National Institute for Reproductive Health is an equal opportunity employer. NIRH strives to build and support an equitable work community that attracts, develops, and retains exceptional people. As a member of the reproductive freedom movement, NIRH aims to foster leadership and raise the voices of historically marginalized people, including but not limited to Black people and people of color, indigenous/native peoples, LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people, disabled/differently abled people, immigrants, and low income people. We strongly encourage candidates of these and other diverse backgrounds to apply.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resume and a thoughtful cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.