The Chief Program Officer will be accountable for but not limited to the following key responsibilities:
Strategic Program Planning
- In concert with the President and other members of Senior Management Team, bring high-level leadership, vision, collaboration, and creativity to the work and ongoing impact of the organization.
- Responsible for shaping the vision and strategy for policy and political/electoral programs and advocacy campaigns, including those executed through partnerships with state and local organizations across the country. Oversee implementation of NIRH and NIRH Action Fund programs and ensure appropriate integration, promoting alignment across all state and local initiatives.
- Responsible for incubating and documenting innovative local and state initiatives, as well as supporting the program team in piloting experiments with high potential for strategic impact and scaling up.
- Ensure the organization is documenting promising practices and innovative strategies and work collaboratively with senior staff to share these through appropriate channels to a range of audiences, including other advocates and movement colleagues, institutional and individual donors, and the media.
Special Projects and External Leadership
- Responsible for managing key strategic partnerships and developing new partnerships to advance mutual goals.
- As a complement to the President’s role, represent NIRH and NIRH Action Fund externally with coalition partners, funders, and other audiences.
- Serve as a spokesperson and advocate for NIRH and NIRH Action Fund’s mission and programs.
- Leadership of special projects: Scope, plan, and execute strategic organizational projects as agreed upon.
Management and Internal Leadership
- Serve as a strategic thought partner on the senior management and management teams.
- In collaboration with senior management, support ongoing work to deepen a culture of equity and inclusion at an organization looking to grow significantly in this area.
- Work closely with VP of Communications and Chief Development Officer to leverage and maximize cross-department collaboration and approaches.
- Manage a 15-person team, foster teamwork; cultivate and maintain a collaborative culture; and integrate, align, and monitor team’s implementation of organizational policies and systems.
- Provide weekly supervision for the policy, political, partnerships, and youth initiatives teams; identify clear departmental and individual goals with benchmarks to monitor progress.
- Develop the Board’s understanding of NIRH and NIRH Action Fund Program goals, impact, and reach.
The ideal candidate will offer the following skills, experiences, and characteristics:
- At least 8-10 years of experience demonstrating senior-level responsibility, including management responsibilities
- Experience with state-level advocacy and/or electoral campaigns (knowledge about both a must; 501c(4) experience a strong plus)
- Knowledge of state-level policy and political landscape and ability to apply a political lens to programmatic/policy work (municipal-level policy experience a strong plus)
- Passion for and commitment to NIRH and NIRH Action Fund mission, fluency in the pertinent issues, and the ability to articulate the case for the mission and programs
- Demonstrated experience leading sustainable processes and building teams to achieve measurable impact and results
- Proven track record working in a senior management environment and programmatic leadership across interdisciplinary departments
- Strong stakeholder engagement skills, including the ability to influence and build buy in
- Strong management skills with proven success in supervision and staff development
- Exceptional judgment, maturity, and demonstrated leadership
- Enthusiasm for working with a team, as well as the ability to drive new initiatives and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
- BA degree required; advanced degree preferable
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position. Competitive benefit package and salary commensurate with experience: salary range $150,000 – $170,000.
NIRH and NIRH Action Fund have engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Liz Lombard and Angie Sessoms here.
The National Institute for Reproductive Health and NIRH Action Fund are an equal opportunity employer. NIRH and NIRH Action Fund strive to build and support an equitable work community that attracts, develops, and retains exceptional people. As a member of the reproductive freedom movement, NIRH aims to foster leadership and raise the voices of historically marginalized people, including but not limited to Black people and people of color, indigenous/native peoples, LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people, disabled/differently abled people, immigrants, and low-income people. We strongly encourage candidates of these and other diverse backgrounds to apply.
NIRH and NIRH Action Fund staff and board have committed to racial equity, and as such have been engaged in a multi-year process to adopt a racial equity lens across the organization. As a result, this person will come into a team that’s currently engaged in shifting its organizational framework.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits and NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.