On April 9, 2018, the Durham County Board of Commissioners unanimously passed a resolution calling for an end to the Hyde Amendment and calling upon President Trump and North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper to support measures to ensure and protect the rights of women, transgender, and gender-nonconforming individuals everywhere to have unhindered access to safe and comprehensive health care. NIRH and All* Above All partnered with NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina and a broad coalition of local organizations, including Carolina Abortion Fund, SisterSong, ACLU of North Carolina, Action NC, American Association of University Women NC, Equality NC, Jewish Voice for Peace, National Association of SW NC Chapter, NC Justice Center, North Carolina NOW, Planned Parenthood of the South Atlantic, and Southerners on New Ground (SONG) to advocate for passage of this resolution.
- Read the resolution here.
- Read about why a resolution was needed in Durham County here.
- Read an op-ed from Dr. Mansi Shah in The Herald Sun on how abortion coverage restrictions harm patients.
- Read testimony from Tara Romano, Executive Director of NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina.
- Read testimony from Toni Curry, Development Director of NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina.
- Watch the vote for the resolution here (1:08).