On November 20, 2017, the Pittsburgh City Council voted to pass a Will of Council calling for the passage of the Equal Access to Abortion Coverage (EACH Woman) Act, a federal bill that would reinstate abortion coverage in public insurance programs, and for the repeal of Pennsylvania’s ban on abortion coverage in private insurance plans sold through the state’s Health Insurance Exchange. This remarkable effort was led by New Voices for Reproductive Justice, a human rights organization dedicated to the health and well-being of Black women and women of color in Pennsylvania and Ohio, and supported by the National Institute for Reproductive Health and All* Above All.
- Read the Will of Ordinance here.
- Watch video of the meeting and the compelling testimony from advocates here.
- Read testimony from the following speakers:
- Read the live-tweeting of the meeting with the hashtag #BOLDtheBurgh here.
- Read the press release here.