On September 30, Councilwoman Nury Martinez led the Los Angeles City Council in a unanimous vote to call for passage of the EACH Woman Act and a repeal on bans on insurance coverage of abortion. Supported by the Los Angeles Coalition for Reproductive Justice, this resolution, passed on the actual 40th anniversary of the Hyde Amendment, became the 11th to call for such action. The press conference that followed featured testimony in both English and Spanish on the importance of ensuring that all people are able to access comprehensive reproductive health care, including abortion, no matter where their insurance comes from.
- Read the resolution here.
- Read the Storify of live-tweeting by advocates here
- Read testimony from Emily Zahn of Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California.
- Read the statement from Black Women for Wellness upon passage of the resolution.
- Watch video of the resolution’s introduction and vote.
- Watch video of the press conference following the vote.