On March 17, 2015, the Madison Common Council unanimously passed a resolution calling for increased funding for abortion care, citing the hundreds of thousands of Wisconsin women who are denied insurance coverage of abortion. The National Institute worked closely with the resolution sponsor, Alder Lisa Subeck, providing background information, messaging and communications guidance, and links to local advocates. Hearing testimony from members of the Women’s Medical Fund, a local abortion fund, emphasized that repealing the bans on insurance coverage of abortion is part of the larger struggle against inequity that marginalized communities face.
- The Common Council Resolution
- Op-ed from Alder Lisa Subeck, sponsor of the resolution
- ThinkProgress coverage
- RH Reality Check coverage
- The Badger Herald coverage
- National Institute for Reproductive Health press release
Testimony in favor of the resolution: